George Barry Wilson, Jr. was born to
Anna Tilghman and George Barry Wilson 16 January 1924, at
St. Joseph's Hospital in San Diego, California. He grew
up as a navy junior, traveling with his family to the Far
East and a number of cities on both coasts of the United
Upon graduation from Woodrow Wilson High
school in 1942, he entered Randalls Prep School for intensive
training in preparation for the entrance exam for the Naval
Academy. He passed the exam with high marks and won a Presidental
appointment to the Naval Academy. He was unable to pass
the eye exam and entered the V-12 Program at Cornell University.
He transferred to the NROTC Program at Rennselaer Polytechnic
Institute in March of 1943. He graduated and was commissioned
an Ensign in the Naval Reserve, receiving his commission
from his father Rear Admiral Geo. B. Wilson, U.S.N. on 6
He reported to the U.S.S. Denver (CL-58)
at the Norfolk Naval Base in July that year. He was detached
from Denver in August 1946 and married Helen Doris Carroll
in Troy New York, 4 September 1946, enroute to the U.S.S.
Saint Paul (CA-73), in Long Beach California. He served
in the Gunnery Department as the Third Division Officer
and qualified as an OOD Underway in a Fast Carrier Task
Force within ten months. From the Saint Paul he reported
to the U.S. Naval Line School for officers who had transferred
from the Naval Reserve to the U.S. Navy.
Upon completion of Line School he was assigned
as Executive Officer of U.S.S. LSM 397 at Little Creek,
Va. for a two year tour from July 1949 to June 1951. He
applied for and was detailed to the U.S. Naval Postgraduate
School, Annapolis, Md. At the end of the first semester,
the school was moved to Monterey, Ca. At the completion
of the two year course he was detailed to the P.G. School
at MIT, Cambridge, Ma. to complete his course in Gun Fire
Control. He graduated with a Master of Science Degree.
He was then assigned, in June 1954, as the
Gunnery Officer in U.S.S. Richard E. Kraus. The ship was
engaged in evaluation of new and improved Fire Control Systems,
off the Virginia Capes. At the completion of that assignment
in June 1956, he was ordered to the Bureau of Ordnance,
Special Projects, which managed the development of the Polaris
Ballistic Missile System. He was assigned to the Missile
Guidance Section to oversee the development of the guidance
system gyros and accelerometers.
His next duty assignment was as Executive
Officer in U.S.S. Henry B. Walker DD-517, homeported in
Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. He relieved the previous Executive
Officer on 22 June 1959. In June 1961 he was sent to the
Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va. for a period of
six months. He was then ordered to the Bureau of Naval Weapons,
via the Naval Guided Missile School at Dam Neck, Va. His
assignment was as Head of Guided Missile Research and Development
Section. It was during this assignment that he managed the
development of the Standard Missile Program. This Missile
Program eventually provided Air Defense Missiles to about
80% of the free worlds naval vessels.
In 1965 he was ordered to Command the U.S.S.
Floyd B. Parks DD-884, home ported in San Diego, Ca., reporting
on 18 September 1964. He relieved the commanding Officer
on 1 October 1964. The ship was fresh out of FRAM overhaul,
received it's drone helicopters and deployed to the Viet
Nam area of operations in the spring of 1965. During that
deployment the Parks with U.S.S. H.B. Wilson DDG-7 performed
Search and Rescue duties in the Tonkin Gulf. The SAR team
directed many rescue operations for Aviators shot down over
North Viet Nam. For the performance of his ship in the Gulf
he was awarded the Navy Commendation Medal.
He reported to his next duty station in Washington
at the Bureau of Naval Weapons on 11 April 1966. In his
position as Director of Guided Missile Systems he managed
the continued development of Surface to Air Naval Defense
Weapons. In August 1968 he was appointed Director Ships
Anti-Missile Integrated Defense Program. Under his direction
the program, in the next 13 months equipped 12 U.S. Destroyers
with an improved capability to defend against anti-ship
He retired form the Navy 31 August 1969,
having completed 26 years of service.
He accepted employment at Tasker Industries,
Los Angeles, Ca. His first assignment was in the area of
independent Weapons Research. His wife Doris Died 17 July
1970. His next assignment at Tasker was Director, Expendable
Jammers. He met and married Lucille Burgess 28 January 1972.
He resigned his position at Tasker Industries in 1974 to
accept a position at General Dynamics, Pomona, Ca. He performed
in several capacities there until he was appointed Director,
Management Systems in 1982. He directed the development
of the new Data Based Computer System for the Division.
He retired from General Dynamics 17 March 1989.
He and his wife built a house in Oceanside,
California and reside there today.